Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Needle Felted Wizard

Over the last 2 weeks a good friend and I took a needle felting class and had a lot of laughs making our "Wooly Wizards".

Basically needle felting is sculpting wool by poking it repeatedly with a special felting needle.
Wool fiber + mechanical agitation (with the felting needle) = felt

This is a picture of the wool roving I used to sculpt. One is dyed blue and the other in its natural colour. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the actual process but its actually really easy.


This is my 'Wooly Wizard' I tried to make him look more like a Father Winter but I think I will have to give it another try. I prefer the waldorf faceless needle felted figures. Here is a great post about this. I have more wool roving and needles to make some figures for our nature table.

My favourite needle felt artist is Beneath the Rowan Tree. She is unbelievably talented and Canadian too. Have a look at some of her amazing work and you will see why I was inspired to learn.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like this guy got into my beer pretty hard...SS

    ReplyDelete