Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Heart Squirrels

Yes that's right, I heart squirrels. I don't know exactly why but I just think they are really interesting little creatures. Not that I would want one as a pet but they're a lot of fun to watch and photograph. In fact when I was taking the pics for this post Madison rolled her eyes and said, "Mommy why do you like squirrels so much?" not really in the form of a question more of an annoyed statement.

Above is a felt squirrel broach, "on the lookout for acorns with his beady eye" which is beautifully hand cut & hand sewn by an amazing and talented fiber artist Lupin (or Laura). The broach is available in grey or dark red and measures approx. 6cms. Please visit her website or Etsy to order one & see more of her work and check out her blog Bugs And Fishes by Lupin for daily doses of felt + time + tea = handstitched loveliness.

Now lets learn some more about squirrels, shall we!

Spieces?
There are about 300 varieties of squirrels around the world. In North America there are ten. Examples are the red/brown squirrels that live in evergreen trees and eat seeds of pinecones and the gray squirrel (my favourite) which lives in woods of oaks, ashes and beeches and mainly eats beech nuts and acorns.

Where do squirrels live?
Squirrels typically live in trees - in holes in the trunk, or in treetop crow's nests. The homes in the treetops are called dreys and sometimes consist of two rooms and a nursery! How cool is that? Here is a video of some gray squirrels building their drey and mating (ya I knew that would get your attention!).

Above is a picture (gotta love winter's grey sky in the background) of a squirrel's drey high up in the Maple tree right in our front yard. The kids love to look out the picture window and watch the squirels go in and out. They are always busy repairing the drey, digging up stored food and either playing/fighting each other. Its hilarious to watch them jump onto the bird feeder to steal some seed.

I'm always asking the kids, "I wonder what the squirrels are doing today? I wonder what they are doing in their drey and when they are going to come out?" and they always get excited when they spot one and are sure to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment