Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Rhythm of My Day

Every morning one of the first things I do is grind my coffee beans to brew a fresh pot of coffee. The sound of the grinder grinding and the smell of the coffee brewing has become a ritualistic part of mine and the kid's mornings. Sometimes they even like to push the button on the grinder. I like to drink my coffee in the same thrifted ceramic mug and love to add the milk and sugar from the same thrifted mushroom sugar bowl and creamer. I rarely get to sit & relax and drink my coffee hot but that in a way has also become part of the natural rhythm of my mothering day.

I want to start blogging about and sharing my everyday rituals, the things that I do with or without noticing that are a very important and special part of my life. The things that make up the rhythm of my life and my family's life.  Sometimes its important to stop our busy lives and take notice of the small things. To live in the moment. Rituals are important on a personal level to nurture our inner selves. And they are important for families and children to develop a sense of belonging and tradition.

Mothering Magazine published a great article in their May/June 08 issue titled, "Mommy Rituals" about how simple, focused actions can bring energy and calm to daily parenting life. Here are some ideas:
  • greet the day & end the day by watching the sun rise or set and  bid the day a thankful  hello or farewell
  • Drink a full glass of water and imagine it cleansing your body, mind & soul
  • Be thankful & show gratitude
  • Notice nature
  • Stop sometimes, actually pause and take notice of the moment
  • Read for pleasure
  • Be silly everyday, laugh and break out of your adult mind
  •  Coddle and nurture yourself
I invite my readers to share some of their everyday rituals and leave them as a comment (remember to leave your name or initials in the text). They can be as simple or elaborate as you want them to be. They can be your own personal rituals or ones that you have with your children. They can be abstract or concrete. And they actually don't have to be something that you do everyday, its the ritualistic part that's important. 
Sharing is so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment