Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Felted Bowl

I finished knitting a Felted Bowl last night, the pattern is from One Skein (which I borrowed from the library). I used Cascade Yarn's Ecological 100% Peruvian Highland Wool undyed & 10 mm double pointed needles. 

Above is the knitted bowl before felting, Madison thought it made a pretty good hat and even agreed to model it for me. You can see how loosely knit it is.
And this is the bowl after felting it in the washing machine with hot water, a tiny bit of soap and about 15-20 minutes of agitation. I dried it over a bowl so that it would take the shape I wanted.
And here it is still wet but I couldn't wait to take the picture. Its a bit more "hairy" that I wanted it to be but overall I'm happy with it.
However, I do have all this fabulous wool roving that I could use to needle felt some kind of design or picture onto the bowl. And before I knit another one I want to dye the wool some different colours using this . . . I guess I'm not done yet after all!

3 comments:

  1. Wow the bowl looks great! So does the hat - you are going to have to make one for Madison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that cute hat turned into a bowl. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea. I've seen books about it at the knitting store but have yet to attempt. Look great!!

    ReplyDelete